Director of Quality
Department: Quality Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt Reports To: President
Amount of Travel Required: 24-40% Positions Supervised: Quality
The Director of Quality Assurance position is responsible for establishing and leading the corporate quality assurance system and team that promotes customer satisfaction and that positively impacts the financial performance of Virginia Transformer Corp. Champion continuous improvement efforts and defect reduction initiatives to establish an effective Quality Management System (QMS).
- Initiates and implements quality improvement activities as appropriate (e.g., Kaizen, Six Sigma) to raise the performance of the company’s product lines.
- Educates and trains employees as to their impact in the quality management system.
- Develops, implements, manages and integrates a QMS for manufacturing plants.
- Serves as the primary quality control resource for problem identification, resolution, loss reporting and continuous improvement.
- Manages quality control personnel on a day-to-day basis.
- Supports concurrent engineering efforts by participating in design development projects representing quality assurance and the customer.
- Designs, implements and documents procedures for process control, process improvement, testing and inspection.
- Establishes and implements metrics (process capability, control charts, measurement quality) for monitoring system effectiveness and to enable managers to make sound product quality decisions.
- Performs root-cause analysis and other problem solving activities to identify effective corrective actions and process improvements.
- Establishes collection and analysis systems of statistical data to predict trends that will affect improvement of product quality.
- Analyzes customers’ product specifications to establish efficient, cost-effective requirements for ease of manufacture and reproducibility.
- Develops quality planning methods for all product lines.
- Develops process certification standards and assist in process certification.
- Monitors vendor performance and establish criteria and rating system for critical vendors.
- Reviews customer purchase orders, contracts and change requests and ensure that the necessary criteria and provisions are included in quality and process plans.
- Interacts with customers to identify opportunities to improve quality and establish feedback with manufacturing and development personnel.
- Oversees calibration and testing programs.
- Reports to management on quality issues, trends and losses.
- Reviews suppliers purchase orders and establish supplier quality requirements.
- Participates in internal and external quality audits.
- Interfaces with supplier and customer quality representatives concerning problems with quality control and assure that effective corrective action is implemented.
- All other reasonable duties, as assigned.
This position manages all employees of the department and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department.
Accountability – Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
Adaptability – Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
Analytical Skills – Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
Communication – Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken and written word.
Ethical – Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
Interpersonal – Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
Organized – Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
Self Motivated – Ability to be internally inspired to perform a task to the best of one’s ability using his or her own drive or initiative.
Required Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, manufacturing engineering or business administration, or equivalent number of years of experience.
12-15 years of experience in QA systems implementation and management, with five (5) years as a CQE/CQM in a medium-size manufacturing environment.
Preferred Education & Experience
Master’s degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, manufacturing engineering or business administration. Strong preference for Quality experience in the transformer industry.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Six Sigma or other continuous improvement methodology experience (green-belt/black-belt certification highly desirable).
Virginia Transformer Corp offers a competitive benefits package. If you seek a challenge and opportunity in a fast paced growing company please complete an online application www.vatransformer.com or apply in person to:
Virginia Transformer Corp
Attn: Human Resources
220 Glade View Drive NE
Roanoke, VA 24012
Or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Virginia Transformer Corp is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply